CANCELLED DUE TO RISK OF THUNDERSTORM IN THE FORECAST.
Weekly topic description:
This walk will be through a coastal forest ecosystem. Topics the participants will learn about include:
- identify the various species of trees and shrubs.
- the conditions that promote certain species from thriving in coastal forests.
- the animals that can be encountered in this ecosystem such as, porcupines, bobcat, red squirrels, mink, weasel, deer mice and various bird species.
- the role of insects and fungi in cycling nutrients
- the various conditions affecting coastal forests such as fog, wind and salt spray.
- the effect bedrock and soil on forest growth.
Registration: To register, contact Jessica at email@example.com or (902) 440-5503.
About Wild Wednesdays:
Wild Wednesday involves a series of free educational guided nature hikes (approx. 1-2 hours) for kids and families, but accessible to people of all ages.
Previously, Wild Wednesday has been offered by the HLC at only one location. This year, Wild Wednesdays will be expanded to three locations, offering more opportunities to hike/explore various ecosystems in the area, including: 1) the HLC, 2) Thomas Raddall Provincial Park, and 3) Carter’s Beach. While walking/hiking easily accessible trails and/or coastline, each week focuses on a different theme. For more information about the Wild Wednesday program, click here